div#ContactForm1 { display: none !important; }

Wednesday, March 3, 2021

IWSG: My Escape

It's IWSG time!!!!

What is that?

In the words of the founder, Alex J Cavanaugh, the IWSG is there 'To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!'

The first Wednesday of every month is the time we post our woes, hopes, dreams, concerns, ideas, chit-chats, or whatever else moves us. 

Special thanks goes to this month's co-hosts: 



I'm going to be boring this month because I, honestly, don't have much to report. Life is calm, moving along, I've done some writing (could always do more) and all is good. I hope that many of you can say the same. 

So, let's just go right to this month's question, shall we?


Everyone has a favorite genre or genres to write. But what about your reading preferences? Do you read widely or only within the genre(s) you create stories for? What motivates your reading choice?


Most of my reading is influenced by the reviews I do for Bookworm for Kids. Obviously. And I honestly try to keep this list fairly broad, since I'm also trying to provide a wide-ranged reading source for audiences ages 18 and under.

That said...

My secret reading desires...yep, I call them secret (shhhh)...do tend to lean in the fantasy and science fiction directions. And with that I mean lighter reads, which buzz along with the pure intention to hit adventures and take me to other worlds. No strong messages, please. Just sheer entertainment. But I also grab up books, which dive into science facts or historical fiction or historical facts or cozy mysteries or thrillers or graphic novels or almost anything.

Except drama. Please, not sheer drama.  And I'm definitely not a fan of contemporary or literary fiction. It's simply too serious. 

Reading is, in most cases, an escape for me, and a chance to let my imagination free. Real life is serious enough, and the people I deal with often have more than enough 'deep thought' discussions about everything from philosophy to culture to science to medicine to politics to religion and beyond. So, I steer clear of that in my hours of relaxation (aka reading). But sometimes the most entertaining reads have more depth than anyone might expect...just delivered in a different way.

And what about you? What do you like to read most?

16 comments:

  1. I've always liked lighter sci-fi and devoured Anne McCaffrey as a kid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For some reason, that doesn't really surprise me :)

      Delete
  2. A calm time is good. Enjoy it. That's awesome that you are moving into fantasy. You should try Jennifer Nielsen. She has some fantastic MG and YA fantasies as well as MG historical fiction. Like you, I read to escape.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I might have read something from her already. I'm definitely going to look into it. Thanks for the tip!

      Delete
  3. Trust me, nothing deep in my science fiction. I'm writing and reading to escape.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And here I thought you'd be more of a super depth scifi guy.

      Delete
  4. I do love sci-fi books. They're such a great escape from the world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lucky you. I'd welcome boring right now. At the moment, I'm in your reading camp--escape.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've been busy on the writing end, lately...if I remember right.

      Delete
    2. Yes. Busy and frantic because of it. I have to settle down and focus on one project or I'll never finish any of them.

      Delete
  6. I'm enjoying it because I know it's about to change.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like you're doing well. That's great. I agree about some literary fiction--too serious. If I want serious, I'll watch the news. Give me light reading, pleasure and an escape. Enjoy March.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like historical fiction. A lot of research goes into writing it, and I can appreciate that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like lighter sci-fi and fantasy, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoy writing for the young adult market, adventure mostly. I like getting my characters into trouble in nature. All best to you, Tonja!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your valuable Tidbits -