div#ContactForm1 { display: none !important; }

Wednesday, January 6, 2021

IWSG - Writer What-haves and What-nots

 
Welcome to 2021 and another year of IWSG! 

In the words of the founder, Alex J Cavanaugh, the IWSG is there 'To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!'

The first Wednesday of every month is the time we post our woes, hopes, dreams, concerns, ideas, chit-chats, or whatever else moves us. 

Special thanks goes to the co-hosts this month: Ronel Janse van Vuuren , J Lenni Dorner, Gwen Gardner Sandra Cox, and Louise - Fundy Blue!


 I'm going to forgo this month's question and head into writer what-haves and what-nots.

The last 8 months or so, I slipped away from my connection to the blog-o-sphere and even struggled to halfway keep up with IWSG. The reason—life simply got busy. And my preferred browser doesn't let me post comments on Blogger, which doesn't make things any easier (Evil computer). But I'm determined to get all of that back underway, stop by and say 'hi' to all of you...I have missed you...and force myself to make time for writing, too. (Seriously, isn't cloning possible, yet?)

Writing has suffered, but with all of the COVID shut-downs, I don't feel so guilty on that front. I'm impressed with those authors, who have had releases the last year and are forced to deal with the much tighter marketing front (as if being a writer isn't hard enough). So, I see this as time for me to get my story ideas tightened up and refined. No time pressure...more because I haven't had the time....but that's neither her nor there. Right?

I have thought about closing myself in my little writing office and ignoring the world to finally let those words flow, but the kids and my husband weren't huge fans of that idea (go figure)...and my cows and chickens might complain, too (yeah, they want to eat).

Oh, and I might have spent a little too much time binging shows on Netflix and Youtube. I consider that research for my writing brain...which it might not be, but I'm not convinced of that, yet.

Add over 300 reviews I did on Bookworm for Kids (*aehm* is that too much?), and yep, writing has fallen by the wayside.

But that's going to get better now. Right?

(A magic wand might be better than cloning, but I haven't found that one yet, either.)


And what about all of you? Are you filled with writer what-haves, what-nots, or what-evers?
Or have you been indulging in 'writer research' as well?


13 comments:

  1. It's been tough for writers whose books came out these past ten months. Tough for writing, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been a hard year to be productive as a writer. And having kids you're trying to help through the pandemic like you have can make it even harder. It's awesome that you've reviewed so many books. That's a great service to authors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Want to borrow my clone machine?
    A little binging is all right. It can inspire ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been so impressed by those who kept on writing. I only started back to blogging--a couple months ago (once a month). I have binge on old and new shows myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 2020 was so weird! Writing has been what's helped me cope this past year. Hope 2021 is a great year for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have learned a lot this year and I can agree the last few months have been difficult! Welcome back to the blog hop!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hoping 2021 is much more successful all the way around. I think watching great movies and shows help to spark my writing, and apparently, it helps you too...LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've also decided to not feel bad that I didn't conquer 2020. It was week after week of bad things happening. Everything was harder than it needed to be. Gotta just let that go. It was a global pandemic, and it isn't over yet. But here's to hoping that it'll get under control soon. I hope your New Year is going well. I only read and reviewed 23 books last year, but my goal for this year is 30. My other goals are to publish another fiction book in 2021, do the Blogging from A to Z Challenge in April, and increase the number of authors helped by Operation Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  9. There's been way too much Facebook and solitaire in my life this year! So yeah, not a huge writing thing. We get cookies as a reward if we manage anything--especially you, with kids still at home (I didn't really get going until my kids were at least Jr. High).

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've really struggled with keeping up with blogging as well which makes me sad as I miss keeping up with all of my blogging friends. Folks like you :)

    2020 was a tough year. Here's hoping 2021 is better.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't comment on blogger with my main browser either.

    Netflix and the like are necessary for a balanced creative life. ^_^ I would like a robot butler myself. If we all put it out in the universe maybe it will happen faster. Cooking and cleaning for me, cooking and cleaning and farming and housework and a dozen other options for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I got some good writing time in around the holidays (strange, I know), but now life has gotten busier. Mom sold her house and moved last week, and my landlord lists the house I'm living in this week. I want to buy, so it's off house-hunting I go. One day, if I'm lucky, I'll finish my current WIP.

    I'm tardy in making return visits for IWSG because I was helping my mom move last week.

    ReplyDelete
  13. 300 reviews! Shoot that's a lot! Take a break and do the easy stuff like blog!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your valuable Tidbits -