div#ContactForm1 { display: none !important; }

Wednesday, August 5, 2020

IWSG



Welcome to another round of IWSG! For those of you who don't know, this group meets every month on the first Wednesday of the month to share frustrations, inspiration, tips, kind words, problems, or anything else that hits a writer's world. Being a writer is not always a path non-writers understand. Plus, this is simply a fun, amazing group.

This blog-hop was started by the very amazing Alex J. Cavanaugh and has since grown into quite the community with anthology contests, lots of advice on the website, a Facebook group, pitch opportunities and so much more!

This month's co-hosts are: Susan Baury Rouchard, Nancy Gideon, Jennifer Lane, Jennifer Hawes, Chemist Ken, and Chrys Fey!


Question:

Quote: "Although I have written a short story collection, the form found me and not the other way around. Don't write short stories, novels or poems. Just write your truth and your stories will mold into the shapes they need to be."
Have you ever written a piece that became a form, or even a genre, you hadn't planned on writing in? Or do you choose a form/genre in advance?


Yep. I have. I know the general genre in advance, but that's about it. And my stories can slide genres a little (small shifts). While I try to know my story fairly well before writing, the characters tend to do what they will, which can have all sorts of impact on the plot.

But isn't that the fun of writing?



Hope everyone's doing well! I'm keeping this month very short due to craziness on my end of things. BUT I should have some big announcements come September...

if everything runs as it seems it will. But how often does that happen????


Until then, have a great August!

10 comments:

  1. I have trouble defining a "genre" for my work at the best of times. Horror? Dark fantasy? Sci-fi? Who knows. All I know is that it always has to come out funny. If I try to write something serious is usually comes out terrible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Without the "fun" quotient, I couldn't write. You said it perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It will run just fine! Looking forward to your announcement.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait to hear your news! And yes, it can be a challenge to balance of knowing your story and letting your characters go where they want.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is the fun of writing! :) I love the little genre shifts and how characters tend to do what they want.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How exciting. Why do we have to wait until September?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Big announcement?!! Can’t wait! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  8. Allowing a story to find it's own way is one of the best parts of writing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with Liz. It's fun to see where our stories take us as they develop. (Sorry I've been absent. It took me a while to figure out how to comment on blogs as my author persona with a chromebook.)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your valuable Tidbits -