div#ContactForm1 { display: none !important; }

Wednesday, April 3, 2019

IWSG - In the Search of Pixie Dust


It's IWSG time!

Every first Wednesday of the month, this group of writers come together to offer support, advice, encouragement or simply to let out frustrations and woes. Writing is a tough journey, and we don't have to go it alone.

Thanks goes to the brain behind this group, Alex J. Cavanaugh! If you want to join in or find out more (because there is so much more to this group) then head on over here.

Special thanks goes to this month's co-hosts: J.H. Moncrieff, Natalie Aguirre, Patsy Collins, and Chemist Ken.



I still haven't caught up with life thanks to a very busy March, and it doesn't appear that things will slow down soon...especially with Spring now here on the farm.

And that's why my search for the magical jar of pixie dust has been on high swing.

Where is it? This is a question I've been asking for years. And it fits so well with this month's question...

Is that magical fate?


If you could use a wish to help you write just ONE scene/chapter of your book, which one would it be? 

This is a no-brainer for me. The first chapter. Always and definitely.

For some reason, it's those first words and that beginning scene which have me rewriting and rewriting and rewriting dozens and dozens of times. Perhaps even hundreds. I want to grab the reader right away and have them caring about the characters and diving into the world from the very first page. But which words are perfect? Which moment will draw the reader in? How should the characters make their first appearance? I have no problem writing the first draft of that very first chapter when my plot bunnies start hopping around (They tend to get overly excited). But I always come back and rework it. Over and over again.

And again.

And again.

See why I need to find that pixie dust?

Plus, pixie dust is great to sprinkle on the house for renovations and housework and gardening and...

So, my search goes on!


What about you? Which part of writing would you use your wish for? Or are you looking for that jar of pixie dust too?

20 comments:

  1. I can totally relate to what you're saying because I struggle with my first chapter too and tend to rewrite it the most of all the chapters in my story. Still planning to go back to the first chapter in my current manuscript.

    If you find any pixie dust, send it my way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. *Raising hand in agreement* This is me, too. The opening 'current' world of my characters never used to give me issue. Now it almost stunts my writing all together. (Ever need help with deciding what should come first give me a shout! I totally get it.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder if that pixie dust is all glittery and sparkly? Or maybe it looks like chocolate sprinkles...yum! Either way, I'll take some, too, please!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes you have to just vomit out that first page or two and then worry about making it pretty later.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You got it right once, you know.

    Careful with the pixie dust because at some point you have to vacuum up that mess.

    ReplyDelete
  6. First chapters are a challenge. Thank heavens we don't have to chisel out the words in stone. Imagine re-writing that way!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yup. First chapter for me, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want pixie dust!!

    I can sooo relate. I don’t mind fussing over the intro as much, but it would be nice if the pixie dust can tell me the perfect intro so I don’t have to run around in circles.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd use that pixie dust for cleaning so I didn't have to worry about that. I'd have more energy to write if I didn't have to waste some on cleaning.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Its the middle for me. Happy IWSG!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree that the first chapter tends to be the most re-written, but for me that's usually just trying to refine it to grab the reader and flow as smoothly as possible. But the general gist of the opening is usually pretty much set from the outset.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Continue with the search for pixie dust...
    It makes me think of Roald Dahl's words: "And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it."

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm always looking for that pixie dust or genie in a bottle too! My first chapters always get the most rewrites when revising. They do have to be just right.

    ReplyDelete
  14. First chapter. Yes! I'll go further and say first paragraph. I've written thousands of words to get those first 200 just right.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes, send fairie dust. I'm a little worried when the snow disappears and the yard starts to demand my attention. Things are hectic enough with housecleaning, writing, and homework. Now I have to think about the outside too? I guess it's time to take down those Christmas lights. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Although the first scene always comes to me easily, I'll rewrite that first chapter several times to get it "right." Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Me, too. I get the first chapter roughed out, but then when I come back for revision, I lose all the magic and bludgeon the poor first chapter into oblivion.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You seemed to get it right on the Music Box book. So maybe you don't need as much pixie dust as you think.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Are you tired of being human, having talented brain turning to a vampire in a good posture in ten minutes, Do you want to have power and influence over others, To be charming and desirable, To have wealth, health, without delaying in a good human posture and becoming an immortal? If yes, these your chance. It's a world of vampire where life get easier,We have made so many persons vampires and have turned them rich, You will assured long life and prosperity, You shall be made to be very sensitive to mental alertness, Stronger and also very fast, You will not be restricted to walking at night only even at the very middle of broad day light you will be made to walk, This is an opportunity to have the human vampire virus to perform in a good posture. If you are interested contact us on Vampirelord7878@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your valuable Tidbits -